Sunday, June 12, 2011

"On the Waterfront" 1954

In this movie the main characters are Marlon Brando (Terry Malloy), Karl Malden (Father Barry), Lee J. Cobb (Johnny Friendly). This movie is very old and from a whole different time era but I would give it a 7 out of 10 and the only reason is because the movie has a good moral message that is being sent.

A couple of the most memorable moments in the movie was when Father Berry was lifted up off the ground by a crane and also when Terry talks to his brother for the last time in the car was a pretty powerful moment.

When I think back to the movie and take a look at the themes of it I would have to say that the power of faith, doing what you think is morally right and corruption would be the main themes. My overal analysis of the movie is that it was a good movie even though it was an older one. I feel that the movie is still relevant with our society today and that it is crazy how that can be. No matter how far back you go you still seem to watch something and it still applies today. I did enjoy the old ganster theme that was taking place during the movie. I thought that the music was a little on the loud side but that could of been because thats what is was like to live on a shipyard. The ending could of been better because it was bit on the corny side.

The overal evaluation of this film is that the acting was on the sub par side of things except for the parts of Terry and Father Barry, were played out very well but besides them the other roles in the movie were just not that great and could be done way better. But the fact that the movie and it's themes are still relevant to today's society is a strong point for the movie and that the director did a good job of thinking things through.

This movie obviously has messages in it like i've said earlier in this post. Some of them are that it is never to late to do the right thing, that with a lot of power comes corruption. I think one other message that is being sent is to always keep faith no matter.

In the end this movie was alright and was well directed. I would have to say that I probably wouldn't watch it again though if I had a choice in the matter. But I would recommend people to see it and watch and give me their feedback on the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment