Friday, June 17, 2011

"Good Will Hunting" 1997

The director of this movie was Gus Van Stant, he also directed "Milk", "Elephant", and "Psycho". I have not seen any of these other movies but I would have to say that I really enjoyed "Good Will Hunting", I have seen this movie before and every time I see it i always get hooked on it. I think the director did an amazing job on this film in every sense of the way. I can only hope that if i was to watch one of the other movies listed above that they would be just as good as this one us.

The main characters are Will Hunting (Matt Damon), Sean Maguire (Robin Williams), Chuckie Sullivan (Ben Affleck). All of these actors are some of the best in the buis. I prefer the movies of Robin Williams and Matt Damon before I would go check out a Ben Afflecked movie but I really liked Ben Affleck's role in "The Town" and made me wanna see more of his stuff.

There were plenty of memorable moments in this film, such as when Will meets Skylar in the bar while he defending his buddy Chuckie, that moment would end up changing his life forever. I thought it was cool when he doesn't say a word for the whole interview but he preceeds to tap his finger for the whole hour. Obvious this movie has a quote in it just like Casablanca that is still used today and is still said by everyone and that is "how you like them apples." Another moment I thought was when memorable is when Will goes into the classroom and finishes multiple problems on the chalkboards with no problem.

Some themes that I picked up on while watching this movie were true love, friendship tell the end, dealing with demons from the past. Strength in oneself to overcome anything in you path.

My over all analysis of "Good Will Hunting" is that is was a fantastic movie. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck did an amazing job at playing there roles in this movie and I can see why they are were they are today. This movie really jump started their careers in my opinion. Although I do not think that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck were the key part to this movie, I believe it was Robin Williams and his brilliant acting skills. He plays every character to a tee in every movie that he is in and I think that he showed the way to Matt and Ben in their careers and I don't think anyone could of played the role of the therapist better than Williams did. This movie had a very powerful message in it and it definately got it through to the vieweres.

The overall evaluation of this movis that it was awesome. It's crazy to think a guy just a janitor could be so smart and not doing anything about his smarts for so long, but that's were his personal life stories come in to the picture and make sense why he is so messed up and why he hasn't achieved too much in life. The other crazy thing is that I don't know if a lot of people know is that Affleck and Damon wrote this script when they were college. That's just mind blowing and to think they probably didn't think it would turn out to be such a success like it was. All the parts in this movie were played so well and you have to be impressed with how everything was brought together through out the whole movie.

I think the over all message in this movie is to not be afraid what our future holds for us. We all need to take risk and being willing to take the chance to fail and be able to get back up and do it all over again until we succeed. You don't want to go through life and say what if, so you might as well try and tell the story of what happened.

There were plenty of symbols in this movie like the painting in Sean's office which I believe showed all the pain that he was going through because of his wife's death. The Shamrock that you see thoughout the movie was a symbol of the were the movie took place, Boston also were Damon and Affleck are from and love so much. I also think Skylar was a symbol of the future and how someone can change for the better and have some faith in their own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment